- 1 cups holland barley
- 75 grams beancurd for dessert
- 200 grams pre-boiled gingko nuts
- To taste rock sugar
- A few pcs pandan leaves, knotted
- Wash clean holland barley. There are 2 different type of barley that can be easily found in singapore. Chinese barley has cooling properties, but the taste is a bit funny. Holland barley tastes nicer, suitable for dessert but some says it can cause phlegm. I use holland barley for this dessert as i like the taste more.
- Smash the beancurd sheet to smaller pieces. Pls make sure you use the one for dessert. There is other type of beancurd sheet for soup too but it is more oily and the texture is different.
- Now the gingko nuts. I bought the pre-boiled gingko nuts. Some says that we need to remove the core to avoid any bitter taste in this dessert.
- Prepare 3L of water, cook barley and beancurd together. Add pandan leaves. I use pressure cooker so it takes me like 5 mins and all are tender already. Beancurd will be very soft like porridge consistency. Some people doesn’t like porridge consistency so you can cook the beancurd later on. If you use normal pot/pan, it probably takes 30 minutes to cook the barley till tender.
- Add gingko nuts and boil for another 10 minutes. Add rock sugars to taste.
- Done! Can be served cold or warm. I like mine cold.